Develop your storytelling skills whilst contributing to social and positive change
We are looking for an inquisitive, creatively minded, budding videographer or video ethnographer to join our dedicated film team. This is a perfect role for someone genuinely excited to help solve some of the biggest problems in our society today by creating meaningful content using a variety of mediums from traditional live-action video, screen recording, 360 video and remote interview footage. We don’t hire people to just get the job done. We invest in people who are curious about the world, want to learn and are invested in making positive change happen.
We create content for a wide range of subjects and clients:
- Exploring the issue of social isolation in people with physical impairments for Essex Council (https://vimeo.com/393650568/f071a19c65)
- Developing a campaign for the health and wellbeing of front-line workers for the NHS (https://vimeo.com/499576517/cdbb0e8afe)
- Producing a hero film for the Equality and Human Rights Commission (https://vimeo.com/668679931/f18c99f54f)
- Understanding underrepresented audiences for the BBC
- Revealing the full spectrum of sports fans for Sky
More detail about the role:
There are many opportunities to utilise your exceptional filmmaking skills here; from producing and editing, to sharing and driving your passion for technology. We would expect the right person to quickly progress and are looking for someone to share our vision, not only enjoying getting your hands dirty with film production but someone who has an ambition to grow their career and be instrumental in expanding our film offering.
We are NOT looking for flawless technical knowledge and technique, nor someone who is polished and believes they know it all. We are far more interested in someone with a willingness to harness the creative skills they do have, and an openness to experiment out of their comfort zone, to create the most inspiring outcomes for a project. We know it’s not easy. Mistakes will be made. That’s part of the job. It’s how we learn and develop. We realise harnessing your skills and getting the best out of you is only possible if we do it together. You’ll be working within a supportive team of creative thinkers, film makers, storytellers and researchers and in an inspiring work environment, where no two days are ever the same.
We are Revealing Reality, a social research and production agency. We realise you may not know much about who we are, but we are the people who:
- Ensure isolated people—from young people with learning disabilities through to middle-aged men at risk of suicide—are properly supported and connected within their local communities
- Are helping shape the UK’s approach to migration and asylum through research with service users across the world
- Inform the government’s strategy on protecting children online by exploring teens’ experiences of watching porn or sending nudes
- Are transforming the spectator experience of international football tournaments, from the World Cup to the Euros
- Are pressing for people in residential care homes to be able to stay connected using internet-enabled technologies.
We influence policymakers, designers and strategists. Our work is diverse, spanning health, media and technology, environmental policy, finance and beyond.
All our projects start with research because without a solid understanding of how the world works, there is little hope of making it better. But research does little on its own—that’s what makes us so unique—we look to actually solve problems using design, innovation and visual communication to enable and inspire change. We also know how to have fun doing it!
Required skills, attitude and experience
- Curiosity in the world and people around us
- A can-do attitude who isn’t afraid to get stuck into a wide range of projects
- A good team player who is able to work with other creatives and people who are in different job roles
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, with ability to communicate succinctly and effectively
- A storyteller
- Unflappable and reliable under pressure
- A good understanding across key apps within the Adobe Creative Suite including Premiere, Photoshop and After Effects
- Knowledge of DSLR’s / video cameras
- A passion for new technology and the ability to integrate it into new projects
How to apply
Please note, this role is office-based, so only apply if you would like to work in the office full-time.
We are looking for candidates who can start ASAP. The salary starts at £22,000 (with potential for more depending on experience). It is a lower starting salary, but we invest heavily in our staff and want to first make sure you are committed and right for the role and that the role is right for you. You’ll be rewarded based on capability, drive and what you deliver, not time spent here, which means there is the opportunity to progress incredibly quickly. If you do well, there is the prospect of a pay rise of 25% in the first three to six months.
To apply please attach your portfolio, CV and Covering Letter
To strengthen your application please don’t use your covering letter as an extension of your CV, but demonstrate what sets you apart from your peer group and why you would like to work for Revealing Reality.
We also have a short task for you.
Our portfolio https://productions.revealingreality.co.uk/ reveals a sample of some of the work we produce. Which one is your favourite? What can we do to make it better?
Please also let us know who inspires you. Tell us about three inspiring people/ companies/ creatives or pieces of work. Let us into what you think is amazing and what we can work towards. There are no wrong answers (this is important, and your application will not be considered without it).
Deadline for applications is: Monday 6th June 2022 @ 6pm